Sunday 19 September 2010

Absolute whitey boke

Thanks to Hannah McAvoy for the charming title of this post. It was thrown in as a casual description of the HORRIFIC hangovers we had after a night of cheap wine, then beer, vodka, cocktails and the occasional caramel shot. Shockingly, stayin at a club till around 4 doesn't do your liver any favours. Anyway...

I've been here for... 16? days now, and this is my first night in. Which also happens to be a Saturday night, which I agree is lame. But after a hard night's partying at Le Grande...Goulle? (Ican't remember...) I am PRETTY HUNG OVER. But all is well, a lot of crap food has been consumed today and a good long whinge to my parents on Skype has settled me.

So the night life in Poitiers... Well, there isn't a lot. Most bars shut any time between 12 and 2, which isn't bad. But the booze isn't cheap. At all. For a place with around 30,000 students, you'd think there would be loads of student bars and deals etc. Wrong. Our usual hang out is Est-Ouest, which everyone either loves or hates. I enjoy it as it has music, not bad priced things, cocktails, and a rack of 10 shots which occasionally we get for free. There is also a "Girafe" which is 2.5 litres of beer in a tube that you can pour urself like pulling a beer from a mini tap. I'm totally perfecting my bar skills, after Lorna and I challenged one the other night.

Les cafes arts (I think that's what it's called?) is also not that badly priced and the bar man, Stephen, is a legend. He gave us a free Grog. BUT DON'T BE ALARMED! I do not mean he spat in my face for free. A Grog is basically a citrus version of mulled wine. It was actually kinda nice. But left a metal after taste? Either way, he played the whole of Dire Straits "Brothers in arms" for me, so I'm there!

Where else... eh... It's difficult to think. Most of the time you just buy a 2 euro bottle of wine and tan that as you walk the four miles to the pubs. Everything is so far away; our house is at the bottom of a hill and everything is uphill. The walk back from the club took about 4 days, probably because we were steaming, but yeah...still. Many an attractive picture has been taken over the past few weeks, by everyone, as we are all a bit camera happy. It's lovely.

We were also in a club, La Luna, but about 5 people were there so we left. Dancing on your own is not cool. Also, I brought 3 pairs of rather large heels and have not worn them yet. Why? Because I would probably die walking up all the stairs, the cobbly streets, etc. I'm not steady on my feet at the best of times :|

There have also been mannyyyyy parties!! Most recent at Dmitri's, where we had wine in plastic bottles. It basically looked like I was drinking oil. and it was DISGUSTING. Did the trick though :D was an ace night. And then there was Hannah Grello's 21st, again a very awesome night involving a lot of Bacardi and wine :D Love it.

I can't think of much else just now, so I'll post again if anything comes to mind. Bonne nuit :)

NB: Why do the French supermarkets not keep their milk refridgerated. IT'S DISGUSTING

No comments:

Post a Comment