Wednesday 30 March 2011

How to move how abroad: Packing.

All over again, I find myself constantly panicking and relfecting whilst I am packing for the big move back to Scotland, as well as wondering why in the name of Jebus and his furry friends I have so much stuff with me. I arrived with no less than FOUR suitcases, mostly filled with clothes, which is obviously nothing out of the ordinary. Another suitcase was filled with cooking essentials, bathroom stuff, etc. What? WHY?! Why the hell did I bring that sorta crap with me? Did I think that France wouldn't sell pots and pans, etc? So that's basically a suitcase I can leave behind. I remember frustratedly stating to my mum 2 nights before I came here that "I HAVE NOTHING WITH ME!".

Rule #1 for moving abroad: Ignore yourself when you say that. You can buy practically EVERYTHING you need wherever you move too. Poitiers had the €2 shop etc, I could ahve got everything JUST as cheap here, and at less expsense. Still, lesson learned, etc.

So far, I have 3 cases - 2 of which are coming home with me, and the other filled with things I am leaving with a friend here so I'll have clothes when I come back, and with things I may or may not need in the future. Therefore, cutting down costs and leaving behind things that I really don't need.

So, Rule #2: Prioritise your items. Clothes, but ones you WILL wear. Little trinkets etc, but that WON'T add a million kg to your weight (think back to the 750g teabag incident - I took out half the packet and lost over 500g to my weight - CRUTIAL MUCH?)

This rule applies to almost any household item - don't be mental like me and bring EVERYTHING over with you...

Once you are over, however, do what you like, it's your room, make it your own. But here's a little advice that's a good money saver and just a good idea in general: Take advantage of most airlines 10kg hand luggage rule. While it is strick, if you follow the above rules, not only will you be able to avoid paying an extra £15 for hold luggage, it means you are just bringing back say out of season clothes (and I literally mean summer-winter clothes, not style, though that too I guess) and other non-necessities to make room for more!

Therefore, Rule #3 - Only use 10kg hand luggage when flying home for visits, unless you REALLY need to book holdluggage.

Even over Christmas I managed this. Basically, anything you think that won't do for winter, that you realised you don't need than you can't throw away, take it home with you. Summer clothes etc are relatively light so you should be able to bring a LOT back. Also, by this hand luggage, I don't mean stuff 10kg worth of stuff into a handbag, get one of the small cases that fit cabin luggage regulations. It's worked every time for me, and means I can check in online and basically proceed right to the gate rather than standing in long queues waiting to check in big pieces of luggage. But obviously, this only works if you aren't bringing back half of the country you are in.

NB: Doesn't matter if it's when you are first going over, etc, always wear any jackets or HEAVY pieces of clothing. Saves like 1kg per item, so frees up a lot more weight and space!

However, as mentioned, it is a lot easier to bring back home summer clothes than winter clothes. Which leads us to Rule #4, Wear ALL your heavy clothing and jewellery whilst travelling. Yes, you may look absolutely mental with 3 necklaces, 2 bangles, a large jumper, a cardigan and a jacket/coat on, but it saves SO much weight, as previously mentioned. Plus it means you have more pockets, which allows for phones, mp3s, make up in those daft clear bags etc to be stored there if they are big enough, or if you happen to have a man friend travelling with you (jean pockets hello?).

I think that's all the main advice I can give you, apart from mayeb recruit family or friends to make the big moves with you, providing you aren't hated by everyone and they can't wait to see the back of you. Which I'm sure is unlikely.

Hope this helps any budding movers/ future ERASMUS/ Languag assistants!!

No comments:

Post a Comment